Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Why Not Liberty? Perspective From a 5th Year Senior


“Why not Liberty?” These are the words of Katie Feenstra spoken in 2005 after defeating DePaul in the NCAA Women’s Basketball Tournament.  Not only are these iconic words spoken by one of the greatest women’s basketball players to ever come through Liberty University, but these words resonate in my heart.

Entering into my fifth season as a Lady Flame, I am still the same advocate for Liberty University as I was when I was the ball girl at age 8.  Being a part of the women’s basketball team has been an impeccable experience.  The coaching staff and support staff have an abundant amount of passion and energy for the game of basketball that is infectious.  Some of the core values of the Liberty University Women’s Basketball team are relationships, commitments, and truth.  Throughout my career, each of these have been an emphasis.  Not only are the Lady Flames asked to uphold these standards through proper behavior, but I have firsthand seen the coaching staff live out these core values.  The leaders of this program not only care about success in the game of basketball, but are focused on developing champions in the classroom and in life.

The original vision to “train champions for Christ” is being upheld in all aspects of the University.  While academics and faith are the top priorities, Liberty also fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams, 31 club sport teams, a host of student activities, intramural sports, and recreational opportunities.  The environment at Liberty University is radiating with energy.  In addition to the extracurricular activities, Liberty hosts some of the world’s best-known speakers from all walks of life every semester; individuals include political leaders to Christian speakers and highly successful businessmen (such as Donald Trump).  One of the core values of Liberty University is community service.  Through this experience, individuals get an action-oriented curriculum by learning information in the classroom and implementing service in the communities, neighborhoods, homes, and hospitals in the area. I truly believe each of these reasons sets us apart from other schools. 

In my time at Liberty University, I have had the opportunity to experience the purpose of this great Institution in distinctive form.  Personally, living in the dorms for 4 years has allowed me to experience authentic community and life-long relationships have been formed because of it.  Going through and sharing life with teammates is one of the most rewarding elements of being a Liberty University Women’s Basketball player. 

Each year our team reads a specific Bible study and we have weekly discussions to expand on our readings.  A few years ago, we were reading a study by Priscilla Shirer (well known Christian speaker and author) and she came to Liberty University to speak. Let’s just say we gave her a standing ovation and a very warm welcome.  It was such an amazing experience to hear her speak and also have the opportunity to meet her afterward.  

In addition, campus facilities are above par and the opportunities are endless.  In the summer you will find us at the Campus East Clubhouse by the pool, and during the school year our team utilizes the Paintball Fields, Ivy Lake, the Lahaye Fitness Center, and the Tilley Student Center. These are just a few of the facilities myself, and my teammates, use on a consistent basis.  

Lastly, the relationships I have made with my professors are so valuable to me.  Not only have I received a highly-qualified education, but I truly feel equipped to excel in my field and make a difference.  On numerous occasions, professors have sent me personal emails after games to encourage and uplift me/my team.  I am sincerely grateful for the professors who have invested in me throughout my career.

It is truly an honor to be a part of a University that is designed to develop Christ-centered men and women with the values, knowledge and skills essential to impact and change the world.